Saturday, September 5, 2009

I'm Bi......took me long enough

I'm Bi.
Finally, after about six years of wrestling with myself saying that it's only a phase, I have eventually accepted it. It is kind of an anti-climax though, isn't it??
Years, of struggling with my sexuality. "Am i gay? Am I straight?", nope, i'll settle for both! lol!

I think struggling with my sexuality for so many years made me quite shy around alot of people. I think I thought that if I got to close to anyone they might figure out what I am and stay away from me.
I think I really accepted it near the begging of this summer just gone. I had started rehearsing for an operetta in town and by looking a few perfectly normal gay guys I think something clicked in my head that I could, of course, lead a perfectly normal life as a bi guy. And, who knows? I might even pick a side in the next few years. But now, at this moment in time. I can say with complete honesty that I'm attracted equally to both guys and girls.
I thinks that it was my recent exposure to the world of musical theatre where I met many gay people that started me on my jouney to accepting me for who I am(listen to me, ha, kinda cheezy?!).
I started coming out to a few people as well since the start of the summer. As I grew more and more comfortable with myself I just started telling people. Well, not going out of my way to tell people that I was bi, but, if people asked me where I stood, I'd tell them. Not at school however. That would just be suicide! lol That's Irish schools for ya!

But there's always one problem that ya just cant fix isnt there?? Be it a friend that you thought would accept you or a family member that you know will not.
Well, my problem is the latter. I have an Irish mother(who I know will accept me when I eventually tell her) and a muslim father. Talk about throwing a spanner in the works!
My dad isn't really the best follower of his religion but one thing that I think has been ingrained into his blood, just by his upbringing, is the the "death to homosexuals" mentality. I really don't think I could ever tell him. I know for a fact that he would not accept me. My relationship with him has not been that strong anyway for the past few years, so that just makes it that much worse. So, that'll be my problem to try and figure out over the next few months.

0 comments: